As a young person, you probably never gave getting up and down from the toilet much thought. It probably seemed like no big deal to you because it was something you did every day. However, for millions of seniors and for people with mobility issues, sitting down and standing up to use the bathroom may be extremely challenging.
Conditions like chronic pain, reduced strength, lack of balance, and disability can all make it difficult to sit down on the toilet and stand back up. Fortunately, this is where purchasing a raised toilet seat comes into play.
What is a Raised Toilet Seat?
A raised toilet seat is a device that is specifically designed to reduce the distance at which a person has to incline or decline when using the toilet. This device can be placed directly on top of any regular toilet seat to raise the seat by several inches.
Raised toilet seats ultimately decrease the distance a person has to move between sitting and standing on the toilet. Doing so makes it considerably easier for elderly individuals and people with mobility issues to relieve themselves in the restroom.
The best part about raised seats is that they are relatively low-cost. Rather than forking over a year’s worth of savings to replace your standard toilet with a taller one, a raised seat can save you money, time, and effort in making your bathroom more accessible.
Top Benefits of Raised Toilet Seats
In addition to making it easier for people to use the toilet, there are other benefits of raised toilet seats, as well. These include:
- Comfort and discretion – There are many different shapes and sizes of raised seats available. Most also come in white or off-white shades to perfectly match the color of your toilet. This makes it easy to find one that not only matches your toilet and is discreet, but that is comfortable to sit on, as well.
- Safety and independence – If you hate the idea of asking for help, you are not alone. Everyone cherishes their independence, especially once it is gone. Despite how difficult using the toilet can be for some people, raised toilet seats can help you get back some of your independence. After all, using the restroom is a private, vulnerable act, but nobody wants to sacrifice their safety for independence – and you shouldn’t have to!
- Protect caregivers – The average person weighs between 160 and 200 lbs. That is a lot of weight for one caregiver to support. As a result, caregivers put themselves at risk for injury every time they help their patients get up and down from the toilet. Raised toilet seats make going to the bathroom easy for both the patient and the caregiver because they allow the caregiver to transfer the patient more easily and with less force.
- Tool-free assembly – One major advantage of raised seats is that they come with tool-free assembly. This means there are no nuts, bolts, or screws to worry about. Instead, you simply unwrap the product, place it on the seat, and lock it in place.
Special Features Found on Raised Toilet Seats
If you want to choose the right raised toilet seat, it’s essential to consider the different features and specifications of the seat. For example, you should consider the size and shape of your toilet seat, the height from the toilet to the floor, the weight of the person using it, and the number of inches needed for assistance.
Here are a few features to consider when trying to choose the right raised seat.
- The shape of the seat – raised toilet seats come in round and elongated shapes. You should purchase the shape that best matches that of your actual toilet seat.
- Permanent or removable support arms – Many seats come with support arms that are either permanent or removable to offer extra support and stability to help you sit and stand. If you are worried about losing your balance or would simply like an added layer of stability, you should find a seat that comes with arms.
- Slip-resistant pads/under grips – Most seats come with slip-resistant pads or under grips to help secure the toilet seat in place and prevent it from sliding while you change positions. If you are particularly at-risk for falls or injuries, you’ll want a seat with slip-resistant pads.
- Safe lock/clamping mechanism – This feature helps secure the seat to the toilet which adds extra stability. The clamping mechanism also makes removal and installation easy.
Purchase The Right Raised Toilet Seat Today
Once you’ve done your research and have decided which features you need on your seat, it’s time to head over to our online medical supply store to look at your different options. With over 30 years of experience, we offer quality products that have been tested to meet your needs.